If you’re interested in learning how to draw eyes, we can help! We asked a professional illustrator to create this simple, step-by-step guide specifically designed to instruct you on how to make the perfect eye drawing.
1. First off, let’s look at a pair of actual, realistic eyes. Be sure to examine the shape and different parts closely.
2. Start off with a circle.
3. Then, add two smaller circles on the inside of the big circle (one on the left and one on the right), forming something that looks sort of like a Venn diagram.
4. Draw some arching lines on the top and bottom of your cluster of circles.
5. Now, get rid of those circles.
6. Draw two more curved lines inside your first curved lines. These should be slightly askew to the bottom corner.
7. Close those interior lines and don’t forget there will be a tear duct so make sure you draw that nice U-shape on one side.
8. Complete that tear duct. You never know when you’re going to need a good cry!
9. Now, draw that beautiful iris (the part of the eye that has all the color).
10. Next up is the pupil. A small circle inside your iris.
11. After this is completed, we’re going to go straight to the eyelashes, but first let’s look at some eyes again and really observe what’s going on there (eyelash-wise). The hairs are swooping up from the lids in all different directions. And if you look closely, each individual hair is gathered into small clusters around the eye.
12. Moving forward, let’s draw that first graceful and swooping eyelash.
13. Sparse out some individual hairs around the eye. This helps to set up the framework and general angle of your eyelashes.
14. Work on making those eyelash clusters one by one.
15. And BAM! As soon as you know it, you’re done with those eyelashes at the top of your eye.
16. Now on to those bottom lashes. There’s little to fear here as the bottom lashes are shorter and there’s less of them. So lay in that bottom lash framework.
17. Complete that cluster formation. Damn, this eye is legit!
18. But you’re not out of the woods yet. Next up is your eyebrow. Draw in the shape of your eyebrow.
19. Draw in the individual hairs if you’d like!
20. Next, erase that “shape” you drew as a guide for yourself.
21. If you don’t want your human to be a cyclops, I suggest repeating steps 1-18 to draw that second eye. Or if you’re lazy like me, just go ahead and clone that motherf****er!
22. Last, but certainly not least, color it in. Hey, those are some nice looking peepers!