Traveling goes far beyond just lying on the beach or sightseeing: you can watch the Aurora while lying in a warm bed, swim in glistening, bioluminescent water at night, climb an ancient sequoia, and much more. It would be such a waste to miss out on all these experiences and go on the same trips over and over again. So, if you are up for some fresh travel ideas, we have some surprising spots for you on our list.
Bright Side selected the best photos of these once-in-a-lifetime travel experiences that will make you want to pack your bags and go straight to the airport. Are you ready?
1. Surf a standing man-made wave at Waimea river on the North Shore of Oahu, Hawaii.
2. Go caving and see glowworms in Waitomo Caves, New Zealand.
3. Watch the Northern Lights through the ceiling of a glass igloo while lying in a warm cozy bed at Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort in Lapland, Finland.
4. Live in a tree house in the middle of the jungle at the Dominican Tree House Village, in Samana, Dominican Republic.
5. Come see Baikal — an ancient sacred lake in Russia.
6. Wake up with a beautiful view of rice terraces at Camaya Bali Bamboo House in Bali.
7. Witness millions of butterflies in the beautiful pine-oak forests of Central Mexico.
8. Go foiling in Oahu, Hawaii.
9. Climb up a sequoia or redwood — the tallest trees in the world, in Santa Cruz, in Northern California.
10. Relax in these cascading hot springs in Saturnia, Tuscany, Italy.
11. Swim in the crystal clear water of the Sac Actun Cenote in Mexico — one of the most quiet and serene places on Earth.
12. Witness a large-scale wildebeest migration from a hot air balloon in the Serengeti National Park, Tanzania.
13. Try flyboarding in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
14. Enjoy a summer night full of fireflies lighting up the pine forest of Tlaxcala, Mexico.
15. Enjoy wisteria in full bloom with your significant other at Ashikaga Flower Park in Japan.
16. Go scuba diving to see colorful giant clams that can grow to be more than 40 in long and weigh more than 440 lbs in Samal, Davao, Philippines.
17. Have an adrenaline rush in the adventure capital of the world — Queenstown, New Zealand.
18. Make a wish and launch a sky lantern at the Yi Peng Festival in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
19. Raft over a 23 ft high waterfall in the lush rainforests of Rotorua, New Zealand.
20. Swim in the glistening water of Bioluminescent Bay on the South Arm Peninsula of Tasmania.
Which one of these are you determined to try at least once in your life? Make a resolution. Yes, we dare you!